Monday, April 27, 2009

Don't Judge a Book by its Cover!!

I boarded a long route bus from Pondicherry to return home from office two days ago. I didn't have the exact change( 10 rupees) to give the conductor. So I gave a 100- rupee note (which is usually accepted in these buses).On that particular day, the conductor got irked and demanded the exact change. He took my 100-rupee note saying that I need the change now, no matter what.I rummaged through my hand bag, but in vain.I was helpess.

A fellow passenger, who was clad in an ordinary dothi came for help.He asked "madam,how much change you need?".I told him that I have around five bucks.He generously offered me a five rupee coin.But I was not willing to accept his offer.Why should I accept money for free? I was very thankful to him, but didn't take the money.Then, the conductor himslef gave back the changes understanding that I truly didn't have change.He must have thought that I was simply lying.

But what I understood from this incident was that we should not judge anyone based on our pre-conceived notions.The man, who came for help was looking very ordinary.He was clad in a not-so clean dhothi.However,he had the willingness to help, which not many what we call as "classy looking" people may have.But unfortunately, we don't believe them and we doubt the motive behind their actions.Have you not judged someone based on their looks? Ask yourself!!

4 comments:

Lancelot said...

May be because I hail from a very humble background... I never judge the book by its cover... I was judged several times because of my covers :P

karthi said...

this is the age old story of advantge -Being a GIRL

Karthik lollu said...

It even implies for this post too.. I thought first you are gonna review a novel :P Pity me!! :)

Conductor and Obama are same.. they always say


WE NEED A CHANGE..


adhukku thaan enna maadhiri ticket edukaama poganum

Poorna said...

@lancelot : i feel content matters more than the cover...sooner or later everyone will realize this:)

@Karthi: I dont think so :) the man was not 16, he was around 60

@karthik :

"I thought first you are gonna review a novel :P Pity me!!"

hmmn.... not your fault...the title that i have given sounds like tht only :)

conductor and obama same? hehehe gud comparison :)ticket edukkamalam pogara thirama ellam ennakku illa :)