Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Retail Therapy: Lessons Learned

I am writing this post to unleash my guilty feeling about being extravagant, at times. So what motivates me to splurge?
  1. Fabrics
  2. Books
  3. DVDs
  4. Cosmetics
If I see any of these stuffs in display during an outing or shopping , I'll simply blow the budget. However, of late, I am wary of what I am splurging on.Otherwise, I'll end up getting a big rod from my mom. I follow a specific strategy to check my spending habits. I ask myself few questions before spending on something, no matter how expensive or inexpensive it is: Will I use this? if yes, how often?is it worth its price?will it bring me happiness? If my answers are not convincing, I'll never kowtow to my wishes.I'll simply resist my temptation.

On the other hand, I am also aware of the fact that all of us are entitled to small treats once in a while. After all, retail therapy is a saving grace for many of us in our fast-paced lives. So what is the conclusion? Here are some key lessons that I learned out of my shopping experience.

Be a smart buyer.Be cautious about picking up stuffs that will not suit your lifestyle. For instance, if you are a party animal, buying a jazzy ball gown makes sense.But why should you pick up a dozen of expensive casual wear if only formal dresses are allowed in your office? Don't you think one or two will suffice?

Don't fall into the sale trap. Sales, discounts ,offers and all are marketing pitch. Every shop announces such offers once in a year to clear its old stocks.Earlier only garment shops announced such annual clearance sales.Of late, all kinds of stores seem to have jumped into the fray. Here I have more things to say. I feel season sales are a strategy for big shop owners to pull the middle class crowd. People fall into the trap because they get access to the stuffs which are otherwise expensive for them. But what we actually do is pick up old or damaged stuff for lesser prices by the standards of the shops. On the other hand, by our standards, that is our usual budget.So what happens? We end up purchasing the poor quality stuffs for our usual budget. Who is the loser here? Spare a thought.........However, we can't blame all the shops. You can get a fair deal during the season sales in many so-called expensive stores.Be alert and grab the chance.

Don't be a copycat. Don't spend on a stuff just because your close pal did. There could be some logic behind his/her purchase.

Don't take your plastic card. If you go for shopping, draw money from the ATM before hand and leave your credit card at home.This will help you to plan your spending and also to stick to your budget .

No comments: